Our mission at the Gold Coast Youth Orchestra (GCYO) is to provide a broad range of orchestral and band experiences to complement and enhance the ensemble offerings musicians receive in schools. The GCYO offers a unique experience for young musicians; an offering not readily duplicated in schools.
As one of the largest youth orchestras in Australia, the GCYO offers a high quality service at a dedicated, special-purpose music facility. The GCYO is committed to providing a hospitable and enjoyable environment for our musicians, their families and the broader community.
Membership and placement into an ensemble within the Gold Coast Youth Orchestra is done through an independent audition process. All young musicians aged from 8 to 25 years are invited to apply. Every position, in every group is auditioned each year, so new applicants are not disadvantaged – equal opportunity for all.
- 28 October 20167: music excerpts available online
- 1 November 2016: Audition Applications close1)late applications incur a late fee $70
- 7 November: audition appointment times will be emailed to you
- 11 and 13 November: face-to-face auditions at GCYO
- 13 November: electronic video upload due
- 31 December: Audition Results emailed
- 31 January 2017: rehearsals start see Calendar
Audition Dates and you choose Audition Format
All applicants requesting entry for 2017 may choose their audition format, which can be either:
- Face-to-face audition on Friday 11 November 2016 4:30 PM – 9:00 PM or Sunday 13 November 2016 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, OR
- Pre-recorded electronic video audition upload due no later than Sunday 13 November 2016
The adjudication panel will be the same for both formats.
Applications for 2017 entry – apply here
- Review available GCYO groups
- Decide which group/s and instrument/s you wish to audition (multiple entries welcome)
- Complete Online Application Form
- Direct deposit non-refundable $35 per audition, per musician
- Application deadline 1 November 2016
Audition Fee Payment due at Application
Please direct deposit monies to Bank of Queensland ($35 per audition)
Account name: The Gold Coast Youth Orchestra Inc
Account number: 2030 1230
BSB: 124 199
Reference: musician name
Who can I contact with questions?
Patricia, at any time
mobile: 0423 148 992
Electronic Video Audition Submissions
Instead of a face-to-face audition, all Applicants for 2017 entry may submit a pre-recorded Electronic Video Audition.
- Upload video file here or
- email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- if the file is too large, please snail-mail to 8 Cameron Crt, Ashmore 4214
What happens after I submit my Audition Application Form?
Once all Audition Application Forms have been received, the following will take place:
- audition bookings for face-to-face auditions will be scheduled2)auditions approximate 5-minutes
- the exact day and time for your face-to-face audition will be advised no later than 4-days prior via email
- audition dress is smart-casual
- video audition applicants will not receive booking information; instead all video auditions must be received electronically by no later than 13 November 2016. Upload here.
When will the Music Excerpts for Audition be available?
Friday 28 October 2016.
Auditions approximate 5-minutes and each applicant is invited to play the nominated music excerpt, plus 2-minutes of a piece of their own choosing. Excerpts will be uploaded here on Friday 28 October 2016.
When will I know my audition results?
Audition results together with details regarding Fees and Payment instructions will be emailed to all musicians by no later than 31 December 2016.
Footnotes [ + ]
|1.||↑||late applications incur a late fee $70|
|2.||↑||auditions approximate 5-minutes|