Our mission at the Gold Coast Youth Orchestra (GCYO) is to provide a broad range of orchestral and band experiences to complement and enhance the ensemble offerings musicians receive in schools. The GCYO offers a unique experience for young musicians; an offering not readily duplicated in schools.
As one of the largest youth orchestras in Australia, the GCYO offers a high quality service at a dedicated, special-purpose music facility. The GCYO is committed to providing a hospitable and enjoyable environment for our musicians, their families and the broader community.
Membership and placement into an ensemble within the Gold Coast Youth Orchestra is done through an independent audition process. All young musicians aged from 8 to 25 years are invited to apply. Every position, in every group is auditioned each year, so new applicants are not disadvantaged – equal opportunity for all.
- 20 October 2017: Audition Applications for 2018 Entry close
- 20 October 2017: music excerpts available online
- 1 November 2017: audition appointment times will be emailed to you
- 4 November 2017: face-to-face auditions at GCYO for STRING musicians only
- 11 November 2017: face-to-face auditions at GCYO for WIND, BRASS, PERCUSSION musicians only
- 11 November 2017: all electronic video auditions due
- 31 December 2017: by no later than 31 December, all Audition Results emailed
- 23 January 2018: rehearsals start
- 30 January 2018: Membership Fees due
Who can I contact with questions?
- Face-to-face audition for String1)violin, viola, cello, double bass musicians only on Saturday 4 November 8.00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Face-to-face audition for Wind, Brass, Percussion2)including piano musicians Saturday 11 November 8.00 AM – 5:00 PM , OR
- Pre-recorded electronic video audition upload due no later than 11 November 2017
The Adjudication Panel/s will be the same for both audition formats3)That is, the same adjudicators for Strings will do both face-to-face and video auditions, and likewise for wind, brass, percussion.
What if I miss out on the deadline for Audition Application?
If you miss the deadline for Audition Application of 20 October 2017 you can still apply here. Late Applicants will sit an audition in January 2018 at a date to be advised. Please note competitive seating is lost for late applicants.
Applications for 2018 entry – what next?
- Review available GCYO groups
- Decide which group/s and instrument/s you wish to audition (multiple entries welcome)
- Complete Online Application Form
- Direct deposit non-refundable $40 per audition, per musician
- Note the very important Application Deadline of 20 October 2017
Audition Fee Payment due 20 October 20174)applicants cannot sit audition until fee is settled
Please direct deposit monies to Bank of Queensland ($40 per audition)
Account name: The Gold Coast Youth Orchestra Inc
Account number: 2030 1230
BSB: 124 199
Reference: musician name
Electronic Video Audition Submissions
Where a face-to-face audition is not possible due to illness or scheduling conflicts, applicants may submit a pre-recorded Electronic Video File via email to email@example.com or other sharing platform.
What happens after I submit my Audition Application Form?
Once all Audition Application Forms have been received, the following will take place:
- Audition bookings for face-to-face auditions will be scheduled5)auditions approximate 5-minutes
- The exact day and time for your face-to-face audition will be advised no later than 4-days prior via email
- Audition dress is smart-casual
- Video audition applicants will not receive booking information; instead all video auditions must be received electronically by no later than 11 November 2017.
When will the Music Excerpts for Audition be available?
Excerpts will be uploaded here on 20 October 2017.
Auditions approximate 5-minutes and each applicant is invited to play the nominated music excerpt, plus 2-minutes of a piece of their own choosing.
When will I know my audition results?
Who can I contact with questions?
Kim Kyle will be managing the Auditions and can be contacted at any time:
Footnotes [ + ]
|1.||↑||violin, viola, cello, double bass|
|3.||↑||That is, the same adjudicators for Strings will do both face-to-face and video auditions, and likewise for wind, brass, percussion|
|4.||↑||applicants cannot sit audition until fee is settled|
|5.||↑||auditions approximate 5-minutes|